Saturday, December 12, 2015

FREE SUPER BULKY HAT KNITTING PATTERN for fast, useful Christmas present #2

Twisted Stockinette after multiple uses!
Time for "ECP" #2--Emergency Christmas Present.  You can knock out this sucker in less than 2 hours--no ribbing required!


This one is a super easy bulky hat that looks and fits better than one knitted in plain stockinette.  Also, it's not "holey" and freezing cold with large holes between and within the stitches so common in bulky and super bulky yarn knits.


As  previously mentioned, I hate long or floppy scarves (and cowls) and prefer a more fitted version.  I feel the same way about hats--even more so.  I have a tiny kid's size 6 7/8 head, and almost every hat I've knitted for myself (and probably others) stretches out and gets too floppy.  I wanted a nice, firm, fitted look.  I do like the look of crochet hats because they are firm and hold up, but, I'm 99% knitter and a crochet-when-I -must kind of person.  I usually prefer to trade skills with a crochet nut as I have several people around that can crochet circles around me yet do not knit. 


So....about cheap yarns.  The first halfway decent yarn I ever used was worsted weight Lionbrand Wool Ease.  I  hand knitted a simple drop sleeve pullover.  It was OK, not great, at first knit.  After wearing once, and heaven forbid hand washing, the sweater looked horrible--the yarn pilled, didn't hold shape, and I therefore HATE this yarn.  It was simply horrid.  That was years ago, I got burned by a long hand knit project, and the investment wasn't cheap.  Maybe I got a bad lot? 


Perhaps I should try it again on a small project, but, I hold yarn grudges.


My grudge in this instance doesn't carry over to the Wool Ease Thick & Quick.  It holds up well in every project I've tried.  I really like it. 
So, what the heck happened to the worsted version?  I just can't seem to let it go--that stupid grey sweater robbed me.  If anyone has had better luck, please, make a comment and I'll give it another go....maybe. 


The pattern below (and photo above) combines the LB T&Q with a simple stitch that adds a little visual interest, but, more importantly, creates a firm fabric that is perfect for a fitted hat that holds it shape and can withstand the abuse of heavy use.  I would expect that most super bulky yarns with a decent twist would work equally well.  However, as I've mentioned before, a yarn with fluffy, minimal twist wouldn't be a good choice.  Apparently, this yarn comes in 67 colors...so why does Michael's only carry about 6 of them?  
Three things you can bet your life on
1.  if there's a yarn I need--it won't be available
2.  if I love the color, I'll have to order it
3.  if I really need it or I love it...it is discontinued
Back to Christmas...
If you are so behind you "can't be any more behinder" as my brother says, and because this hat works best when fitted for the person, the Christmas solution may be:
1.  Wrap up the yarn or even a print out of the available colors of LB T&Q with the photo above.  In that case, the gift recipient can choose the color they want and you can order some of the neato colors instead of buying locally if necessary. 
2.  Include an awesome card that says "This is to make you a custom, one-of-a-kind, fitted hat just for you!" 
3.  Knit after Christmas.  Do NOT be a loser and not follow through.  (and to the person I owe a sweater from two Christmases ago...I swear I am working on the sleeves.  It was your fault you picked ORANGE.  I feel like I'm knitting a carrot.  Or a prison sweater.)




THE PATTERN
Hat shown flat.  Note crochet chain trim above cast on edge.
EASY  SUPER BULKY HAT WITH A TWIST



MATERIALS: 
Yarn:
Shown is Lionbrand Thick & Quick in Linen, which is about $7-8 per skein.  Stitch definition will be better with lighter colors.  Stripes--well--not sure how the self-stripe ones would look but it may detract from the stitch definition.  If anyone tries, please let me know. 





Needles: 
Size 13. A circular needle with the skinny ends works best for the twisted stitch. I highly recommend a needle like that pictured below.  I think this is Loops and Threads brand but I'm not sure.  I AM 100% sure it was purchased at Michael's.  (Actually I stole mine from my friend Amy--I "borrowed" them and thought "why aren't more needles like this?"  FYI she has no clue about this blog, so, until someone clues her in, they are mine, mine, mine...)
I also recommend the circular needle over a straight needle even though this project is knitted flat and seamed.  The twisted stich is a bit harder on your hands, and the circular needle provides more relief.  Also, you can slide your work to the middle and poke it back in your purse for knitting on the go without fear that your work will fall off and/or have a "row mark" where it's sat on the needles too long.  I almost never use ordinary straight needles. 
Crochet hook:
A decent sized crochet hook for the surface crochet edge.  Size doesn't matter so long as it's big enough to grab the yarn through the fabric you've knitted. 



Gauge and Measurements
8.5 stitches x 14 rows = 4 inches in pattern stitch;
finished circumference before shaping 20" (small/med) and 22" (med/large)



Twisted Stockinette Stitch 
On RS rows, ktbl (knit through the back loop).  All knit stitches, even the k2tog are through the back loop.
On WS rows, purl


Pattern written for size small/medium (medium/large)
Cast on 41 (45) sts. (pull out about 90" (95") of yarn and this is sufficient to cast on the number required--I hate having to rip out a CO and start over...) 
Hat body
Begin with purl row.
Work in pattern stitch (ktbl on RS, purl WS) until hat measures 4.25" from cast on edge, ending with a purl row.  For me, this was 11 rows. Since this hat is to be fitted and snug, be careful in determining how long you want the hat to be before you begin shaping the crown.   A little shorter is better as you can block it when you are finished.  So, 4.25" might be slightly too long or short depending on the fit you desire.  You don't want this hat to be too tall as it will look like a boob on your head.  Trust me--it happens. 


Shaping
For med/large size only:
Row 1:  *K9 tbl, k2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, k1tbl
Row 2:  purl
For all sizes (med/large continue with the "second Row 1"; for sm/med, start here):
Row 1:  *K6 tbl, k2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, k1tbl
Even rows 2-8:  purl
Row 3:  *K5 tbl, k2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, k1tbl
Row 5:  *K4 tbl, k2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, k1tbl
Row 7:  *K3 tbl, k2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, k1tbl
Row 9:  *K2 tbl, k2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, k1tbl
Row 10:  *p1, p2tog;  rep from * to last stitch, p1
Row 11:  *K2tog tbl; rep from * to last stitch, 6 sts remain


Break yarn, leaving a very long tail, thread through remaining stitches twice to secure top.  Using remaining tail, seam side from top to bottom.


Bottom edge:  As a little decorative trim that prevents rolling of the edge, on the first row above the CO edge, crochet a chain by holding the working yarn on the WS and pulling through to the RS through the chain like the one shown below in a contrasting color:






My version was knitted flat and then seamed up the side, but you could easily knit this in the round by casting on 1 less stitch, alternating ktbl and k rounds with the same shaping but omitting the last k1tbl stitch on each twisted stitch round.  If you don't omit the 1 cast on stich, since seaming isn't necessary, the hat will be slightly larger when knit in the round if you follow the flat knit pattern.  This is due to no loss in selvedge stitches at the sides.  (It think this is knitting "TMI" but I decided to include it anyway. )


Another alternative version would be to knit  (instead of  ktbl) the first and last stitch of every RS row.  This makes seaming up the sides a little easier.


If you knit this, PLEASE send me a pic!  Tell me if the pattern needs any corrections, and, if needed, I'll knit a 48 stitch version for a larger size.


So, today, go make something awesome!
















No comments:

Post a Comment