Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Cabled Wrap Sweater--cost to make $7.96!

Currently, Michael's has Loops and Threads Charisma listed at $1.99 per skein.  YIPPEE.  I've had good luck with this yarn, and it comes in 35 different colors.  Sadly, again, my stores only carry about 5 of them.  And 3 of those are the stripe and multi-colored ones that make me want to jab my eyes out with a set of DPNs.  Sigh. 
The link to the yarn is here:  http://www.michaels.com/loops-and-threads-charisma-yarn/M10133746.html


An original pattern I've created that some may recognize as an adaptation of $$$ Etsy sweaters is the Cabled Wrap Sweater.  This version is quick to knit in bulky Charisma using size 10 needles. 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cabled-wrap-sweater
So, at $1.99 per skein, that's a $7.96 sweater that sells on Etsy for well over $150.  I know, labor is expensive (and should be), but, as many of us want to knit a $-looking gift for less $, this sweater is a win-win.  The list price of the yarn is $4.99 = a $19.96 project...definitely still doable.  Actual cost of the sweater shown was $15.96, at $3.99 a skein. 
Charisma calls for a larger needle, but, cabled patterns are stretchy and you want this one to hold together in the purl sections to avoid gaping.  This is why the size 10 works.  It is a bit harder on your hands, but, the product is worth it.
This sweater is very warm.  Also, I've tried knitting the pattern in a super-bulky yarn.  This worked ok for a friend that actually has "chest parts" if you know what I mean.  I have none...really...and it didn't work.  After knitting in a bulky yarn, I think the end result is much better. 
This pattern is extremely easy to knit!    If you haven't tried cables before, DO!  You will be surprised at how easy it really is--not much more difficult than knit/purl.  The results are well worth it--I loveeeeee cables.
If you are ready to move on from endless scarves, this is a great next step.  Why?  because it's essentially a scarf that's seamed to make the sweater. 
The back looks like this
Using a garter stitch back panel, again, knit as a long scarf in one piece, the back will "stand up" and not sag or creep up.  I've made some all-cabled versions, and this was my issue.  The garter ridges can either be offset (as above) or seamed more in-line with the garter edge of the cable section of the panel. Do NOT be tempted to modify with a seed stitch back.  I love seed stitch and love the rigidity it produces, however, it won't work here as seed stitch is much wider, and the back panel will "fan out" = horrible, horrible, horrible.  Yes, I tried, failed, ripped out...


The pattern is available at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cabled-wrap-sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment