Wednesday, December 9, 2015

IN DEFENSE OF CHEAP YARN EVERYWHERE...





One of my most prized possessions is a very simple blue cardigan knitted by my mother.  I've never worn it.  She never wore it.  Sadly, she passed away at a young age and never had the opportunity. 


What the sweater is not--expensive, "cheap", or unimportant.
What the sweater is--economical, a demonstration of skill and effort, and a treasure.


The sweater is made from 100% "el cheapo" acrylic.   


Why? 


It's what she had, what she could afford, and what we had available locally.  Growing up, we didn't have the luxury of high-end local yarn stores.  It wouldn't have mattered anyway--we didn't have the money for such things.  My memories of her in the quest for yarn was in the back of Hills, Kmart, a Ben Franklin or two--digging through stacks of economy yarn.  I prized myself as being THE dye-lot finder...and we made quite a game of it.  At the time, I wasn't a knitter, so this was my only contribution to the effort. 


Baby blanket after baby blanket--knit and crochet--with my mom's limited time, making small items for others was her goal.  I was never quite sure if that simple blue cardigan was even made for her--I only assumed.  If that's the case, it's the only item she ever made for her own use. 


I say all this in defense of CHEAP YARN. 


Not too long ago, on a machine knitting forum, I was attacked by a poster for my defense of Red Heart Super Saver.  Seriously--that lady needed to go knit herself a straight jacket.  Comments such as "why would you waste your time." or "I don't bother with low quality yarns..." were the nice comments.  YARN. SNOBBERY.


Now, as a knitter myself, it's not as if I haven't considered expensive yarns.  I quickly did the math on the poster's suggested yarn for my project and compared it to my RHSS version.  Her project?  Over $200.  Mine?  Under $9.  That's 191 reasons I'm not crazy. 


However, I have, from time to time, considered smaller projects like cowls and hats made from better, or even premium, yarns.  One recent lovely cowl pattern really grabbed my attention--LOVED IT--and I decided to ask for "THE" yarn for Christmas.  Then--math loomed--and the cowl would have cost $70.  I just can't.  $70????  for a cowl?!?! 


For all of these reasons, and because I'm tired of digging through forum files to find photos of inexpensive and reasonable knitting projects, I've started this blog.  If you have a project or story to share--please email me at equestrianknits@gmail.com so that your story can become a full post, not just a comment. 


What you will find here is
1.  a few of my own patterns made using inexpensive materials
2.  examples of high-end projects made with less expensive materials
3.  absence of yarn snobs.  EVER.  Seriously, if you're a yarn snob, there are plenty of other places on the web for you to visit. 


What I hope to have
-  YOU and YOUR projects!  I hope you will join in--share your honest cheaper yarn knitting and crochet adventures--successes and failures--in defense of cheap yarn everywhere. 











No comments:

Post a Comment